Using Let's encrypt SSL certificate
Customers are often curious, how to use Let's encrypt SSL certificate with LiveAgent. Even though we don't have direct Let's encrypt support you can get a free certificate from https://www.sslforfree.com/ and use it with your LiveAgent.
How to Generate Let's encrypt SSL certificate using SSL FOR FREE
1. Navigate at https://www.sslforfree.com/ website and enter the name of the domain for which you would like to generate SSL certificate, so the custom domain/subdomain you wish to use with your LiveAgent, and click on the Create Free SSL Certificate button.
2. You can see three options how you can verify that you are the owner of the domain. You can choose either one but we'll describe the Manual Verification (DNS) one.
3. Now you need to follow the instructions given by SSL for free. In this case we will need to update the DNS Records, therefore you need to go into the DNS management page that your domains use (This link may help with setting up your TXT records [ignoring Google specific parts]).
- Add the TXT records generated by the SSL for free website to your DNS records (In the Time to Live (TTL) field, enter 1):
- Add TXT record with the name/host _acme-challenge.yourdomain.com with the value xxx (Site will generate unique value for you)
- Verify TXT records have been propagated by going to the links located at the website.
- You may have to wait a few minutes (up to 24 hours) for the DNS TXT record to propagate. If you get an error during verification that says "JWS has invalid anti-replay nonce" then just refresh the page (resending post data if prompted) until it works.
- Once you are done and verification was successful click on the Download SSL Certificate button.
4. Once you click on the Download SSL Certificate button, page will Generate SSL certificate for you. Once you reach the Certificate Successfully Generated page, you can copy the certificate, certificate bundle and private key and paste these to your LiveAgent. Or you can download the SSL certificate, certificate bundle and private key in zip package by clicking on the button Download All SSL Certificate Files.
You can apply the certificate in LiveAgent using our Domain parking guide article.